links for 2005-11-08
links for 2005-11-05
links for 2005-11-04
This is why I never get anything done:
- I see a job posting, think, "I could do that", and sit down to send off a cover letter.
- I start off, "Hello, Mr. Foo, I see that Bar.com is hiring Baz engineers. I've been developing with Baz for..." How long? Let me check the ol' resume.
- Man, my resume looks like crap. I really need to update that.
- Hm. As long as I'm thinking about updating the resume, I'd better fix the page design, too, so it doesn't look like I just threw it together. I'm supposed to be a web guy or something, after all.
- Well, I can't just redo the one page. I'd have to apply the new design to the whole site. Argh. I'm going to have to redo the templates for those mini-projects, too, that have their own look. And get around to putting together an index and some descriptions for my code samples. I should use that rendering engine I built a while ago...
- Crap, how did this work again? I totally over-designed this. I know it worked last time I tried to use it - do I have to edit the config file? Man, I should clean some of this code up before I move forward with this. Actually, what I should really do is put that web front end on it, so I don't have to screw with it next time...
- Okay, let me just grab this code out of this other project I did a while back. Holy crap, look at that! What the hell was I thinking? I need to tear all that out and make sure that I won't die from shame if anyone ever bothers to download that code...
...and you see how this pretty much goes on forever. Installing new software, getting side tracked on little projects here and there, looking stuff up, getting sidetracked again by a comment in some documentation somewhere that leads to someone's personal site, which leads to an afternoon of me reading their favorite web comic or something. Maybe this is a problem that I can get some good prescription medication for. Or maybe I should just stick with the whiskey.(August 21, 2003 09:34 PM)