I am seeking contract or full-time positions, locally or remotely, that will allow me to continue working on fantastic projects with brilliant and entertaining co-workers and clients. I'd like to help you implement your vision, fully design and realize your ideas, and bring the best version of your business to life.
(Excellent full-time positions in Austin, Texas may be considered.)
Over twenty-five years of experience developing for the Internet, both professionally and as a hobby.
Excellent communication skills, the ability to pick up and learn new skills quickly, experience with user support and training, and a fine sense of humor.
Experience in many non-technical environments, including (but not limited to) scripted and improvisational stage performance, editorial, game design, publishing, creative, production, construction, and food preparation.
Examples of my Flash and Shockwave work can be found at: http://www.majcher.com/flash/
My Perl modules on CPAN can be found at: http://search.cpan.org/author/MAJCHER/
My LinkedIn profile can be found at: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/0/2/80a
- Acted as Lead Instructor for the Web Development Immersive program
- Collaborated on development of curriculum for incoming and continuing students
- Managed team of instructors on Austin campus
- Created wireframes and implemented new interfaces for medical insurance clients
- Worked on several e-learning products and training courses using Backbone and Handlebars
- Implemented application for web and mobile using AngularJS and MEAN stack technologies
- Coordinated and worked with remote and local developers in a test-driven agile environment
Mach 10 Studios
- Designed and implemented mobile trivia games for iOS using Actionscript 3 and Flash Builder.
- Maintained iOS app built with Objective-C for online auction house.
- Refactored and improved a large PHP codebase for g2link.com, a trust and reputation networking site.
- Redesigned user flow and created design documents while optimizing and adding features to the site.
- Continued to teach improv classes and workshops, and perform in and direct improvised theater shows.
- Implemented game UI and client-side logic for online casino game using Flash and Actionscript 3
Portalarium | Senior Game Developer
- Architected and built an isometric Flash client for social games using Actionscript 3 and Flex frameworks.
- Coordinated with server, artistic, and design teams to produce high quality cross-platform applications.
- Assisted other developers with user interface development, game design issues, and overall troubleshooting.
- Mentored junior Flash developers, helping them to easily integrate and transition into the development team.
- Ran a successful kickstarter campaign for a self-published card game, Fluffy Bunny Tea Party.
Contract Flash Developer
May 2009 - September 2010
- Prototyped and developed Rightcliq/Wishspace global shopping interface
- Architected and coded event-driven model-view-controller application in AS3 from the ground up
- Worked with remote teams, locally and overseas, to complete project on tight schedule and budget
- Collaborated with external design teams to convert mockups into working products
November 2006 - July 2008
- Built Flash video player from scratch using open-source technologies: eclipse, swfmill, mtasc, ant, etc.
- Re-architected and ported Flash video player to updated versions of Flash and ActionScript 3
- Worked with clients to design and build "microsites" for their brands, with embedded Flash video player
- Aided team with development and implementation of additional Flash applications
June 2006 - November 2006
- Developed interactive course material for Flash learning activities; clients include Harvard Business Publishing
- Built an event-driven interactivity architecture with object-oriented ActionScript for rapid development of material by a team of developers
- Installed and trained team on MediaWiki for company and project organization
Senior Digital Media Technician
July 2005 - June 2006
- Developed interactive Flash prototypes for consumer device user interfaces
- Implemented demo applications and custom UI controls for desktop applications using Trolltech's Qt toolkit
- Collaborated with overseas developers to produce demo for Qualcomm's presentation of their uiOne technology at the BREW 2006 conference.
- Worked closely with design team to rapidly execute and explore visual concepts with working prototypes
Austin Community College
Instructor, Game Development Program
July 2005 - August 2006
- Taught the Introduction to Game Programming class for students beginning in the Game Development program
- Used the Python programming language and pygame to illustrate basic concepts in game programming
Marc Majcher Consulting
February 2001 - Present
San Francisco, CA - Austin, TX
- Began contracting and consulting full-time.
- Offer professional Internet planning, design, and programming services.
- Clients to date include:
- Built user interfaces for home security and automation panel using Flash Lite and custom Actionscript libraries.
- Kodak Easyshare Gallery
- Created a variety of Flash UI elements for navigation and display of photo-based products.
- Worked with remote teams to integrate elements into content management system and HTML pages.
- Net-Recon / Sneaky Games
- Designed and implemented a multiplayer online trivia game for a major motion picture studio.
- Worked with and managed off-shore resources for artwork, design, and client and server development.
- Architected and built object-oriented, event-driven Flash game client using ActionScript 3 and FlashDevelop.
- Developed real-time gameplay and chat interfaces for client-server communication.
- Worked with a team to design and implement a content management and rendering system for one of the most popular sites on the web (macromedia.com) using Perl, XML, and Java.
- Collaborated with creative to design one of the first major Flash-based online shopping experiences.
- Implemented "My Macy's Closet", and worked with Java developers to integrate with e-commerce backend.
- frog design
- Finished a Flash-based "next generation" cell phone interface prototype.
- Quickly ramped up on the tail end of a multi-year project, on a very short timeframe.
- Architected and built Flash interface for a kiosk-based wayfinding system for M.D. Anderson Cancer Center.
- Worked with Handwire and fd2s teams to integrate database and pathfinding information with graphic and UI design.
- Demo Quicktime
- Mockingbird Games
- Implemented Flash user interface for web-based drag-and-drop game creation software
- Used Flex development environment to create web application, user photo upload and cropping tools, etc.
- Worked with remote clients and designers to produce interactive demonstrations of biology concepts for use with a textbook.
- Gamut, Inc.
- Developed content showcase application on BREW platform for internal Qualcomm demo.
- Set up test server environment for mobile network distribution of multimedia content.
- Built Flash motion libraries for use in product demo movies.
- Scripted game logic for children's entertainment activities.
- Presidio Labs
- Designed and implemented demos in Flash and Director for networked 3-d data visualization system.
- Used Perl to build XML database servers, and process and import data from varied sources.
- Built and managed small team of Java developers to build proof-of-concept application for investors.
- Built website to allow users to manage long-distance teleconferencing packages.
- Worked remotely with creative and engineering teams to integrate design and backend functionality.
- Science Technologies
- Created interactive animations for physics textbook materials.
- Slam Media
- Developed concepts and designs for online games for a multimedia portal website.
- Sprint PCS
- Implemented Flash-based movie player to view commercials online.
- Worked with remote team to build rich internet application frontend for airline booking system, using Flash.
- Texas Rollergirls
- Created and maintained website for Austin's premier rollerderby league.
- Used Perl to build mailing list, photo gallery, and XML-based rendering system.
- Developed DHTML outliner for asset catalog management.
- Updated and maintained mod_perl-based community software.
- Built XML/XSL/XHTML pages for in-application use.
Senior Content Engineer
August 1998 - February 2001
San Francisco, CA
- Worked with a team to develop several large corporate e-commerce websites, including Wamumortgage.com, Playstation.com, Macys.com, Blockbuster.com, and Rx.com.
- Integrated HTML user interfaces with java application servers, including ATG Dynamo and BEA Weblogic.
- Worked cooperatively with creative department to translate visual designs, user experience flows, and written content into functional interfaces for client projects.
- Developed rendering and publishing tools and processes to aid in the production of large, complex sites.
Liaise Systems, Inc.
November 1997 - August 1998
San Francisco, CA
- Developed web-based bug tracking database for use by development team. Created multimedia presentations on CD-ROM for marketing purposes.
- Performed secondary webmaster and system administration duties.
- Re-designed company's logo, business cards, and letterhead.
August 1996 - November 1997
Mountain View, CA
- Performed administration duties for Unix (Solaris) network and World-Wide-Web database services.
- Wrote and maintained Perl code for Internet data searching and verification, Web crawling, and internal information processing and management.
- Provided general technical management and support for office staff.
Sim Diego Internet Services
Director of Technical Operations
February 1996 - May 1996
San Diego, CA
- Solely responsible for the design and implementation of a Macintosh-based Internet suite, including WWW server, e-mail, FTP, DNS, and dial-in capabilities.
- Set up and maintained internal network and external Internet connections.
- Designed and implemented backup systems and remote administration facilities.
- Aided in design of web sites and wrote HTML code and CGI applications for web pages.
Warwick Baker and Fiore
Computer Services / Technical Support
February 1994 - September 1995
New York, NY
- Supported users of various levels of experience in an advertising environment.
- Assisted all departments in the use of Macintosh computers, PCs, and network usage.
- Performed setup, installation, repair, and troubleshooting on hardware and software.
- Taught classes and instructed users in the use of applications.
- Installed and maintained ethernet and localtalk network connections.
- Designed and implemented networked databases.
- Created and maintained print control software for color printing accounting.
- Wrote HTML and CGI scripts for company World Wide Web pages.
- Aided in the installation and configuration of UNIX software on various platforms.
- Configured network communications, including modem dialups, UUCP, PPP, and T1 connection.
- Assisted in design and implementation of firewall security for UNIX/Internet connection.
ASCIT - SUNY at Buffalo
Academic Consultant / Graphics Consultant / Site Manager
October 1991 - December 1993
- Facilitated use of the University computing services by the user community.
- Able to communicate knowledge effectively to both novice and experienced users.
- Aided users with mainframe, workstation and microcomputer usage.
- Taught and assisted workshops and aided in production of documentation.
- Specialized in electronic network and Internet communications.
- Aided users with use of systems in University Graphics Lab.
- Familiar with many UNIX graphics, layout, mathematical, and statistical packages.
- Assisted users with image scanning, conversion, and manipulation.
- Maintained and supervised Computing Center labs and other campus computing labs.
State University of New York at Buffalo
Computer Science Major - BA program (Philosophy Minor), December 1993